The theme of this year's awards, which which were organised by Te Papa Tākaro o Te Arawa was Ode of Houmaitawhiti and focused on excellence and commitment to the community.
A new innovation this year were the three Te Arawa Awards Rangatahi Wānanga that were held leading up to the award night which were filmed by Hana Tapiata. Each winner was then showcased on award night.
Te Papa Takaro project coordinator, Moana Miller provided insight into the impact of the video showcases saying "this allowed whānau members to see the efforts of their loved ones and witness the way in which each had reached the pinnacle of their sporting excellence. It was profoundly moving."
These highly regarded awards were presented to the following:
- Whānau of the Year - Chrimp Whānau
- Te Arawa Pride Hapū of the Year - Tumahaurangi
- Te Arawa Hall of Fame - Mina Paul
- Te Arawa Roll of Honour - Ruia Morrison
- Junior Sportswomen of the Year - Awatea Leach (Basketball)
- Junior Sportsman of the Year - Logan Elers (Basketball)
- Senior Sportswomen of the Year - Dale Thomas (Waka Ama, Whitewater Rafting)
- Team of the Year - Wāhine Toa (Whitewater Rafting)
- Service to Sport - Melissa Ruru