Te Papa Takaro o Te Arawa Trust
Te Arawa Sports Foundation
Te Papa Takaro is an iwi organisation established in 1991 by Te Arawa for Te Arawa, Māori and the local community providing wellbeing services and opportunities.
TPTOTA is a non profit, charitable Māori provider mandated by Te Arawa for sport, physical activity, recreation, including education, culture and health. They are governed by a Board of Trustees who is made up of Hapū representatives from within Te Arawa. TPTOTA encourages Whānau, Hapū, Iwi, Marae and Māori development through providing opportunities for for this alliance of ropu to grow and learn together.
They are based on the Te Koutu Marae at the Tumahaurangi Marae Complex.
The vision and guidance provided by the founding members of Te Papa Takaro gave rise to the direction that Te Papa Takaro o Te Arawa has strived to achieve from the beginning. This vision is encapsulated in this ‘tohu’:
The Whānau unit, striving in unison for physical, mental, spiritual and Whānau health from childhood to adulthood and later in life into the twilight years”
- He Oranga Poutama – Kaiwhakahaere
- Community Programmes (holiday programmes, promotional events, leadership programmes, recreation short programmes)
- Community Sport (Sport facilitation and support, sport coordination, coaching development, code development, networking, sport and recreation club development, sporting facility access for community groups, existing sport/new sport promotion, skill development)
- Māori Sports Management
- Event Management (Event planning and design, sporting event management, event management training, event support, collaborative delivery, Iwi event management and support)
- Sports Awards
- Traditional Māori Sport development
- Traditional Māori Recreational development
- Kapa Haka, Traditional Māori games (as Recreation), Hunting, Mahinga Kaimoana (Diving, Fishing etc) Matauranga Ngāhere, Rangatahi Development