Te Rōpu a Iwi o Te Arawa Charitable Trust (Maatua Whangai)
Te Roopu a Iwi o Te Arawa Trust is a charitable trust that was incorporated in 1988. The organisation is an iwi/ Māori social service provider approved under s396 and s403 of the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1989 to deliver services to the Ministry of Social Development.
The Trust is based at Tārewa Pounamu Marae (Taharangi) on Tārewa Road. There is also an office in Hinemoa Street where counselling services and the Whānau Ora Paearahi is based.
Te Kaupapa o Te Rōpu a Iwi o Te Arawa is to:
- To inspire and support whānau transformation by creating hope, strength and resilience.
The organisation provides a full range of social, justice and welfare services to whanau hapū and Iwi and networks with other community organisations, schools and individuals and Government agencies.
Services provided include:
- Counselling – family violence, relationship, grief and loss
- Whānau Ora – support and guidance
- Whānau conferencing
- Kaupapa Māori parenting programme
- Budget Advice/ Tiaki Pūtea – a one on one service as well as group education programme delivery
- Youth Mentoring and Supported Bail – Youth Justice court-referred programmes
- Rangatahi Court – a twice per month service
- Koeke Rāranga – a weekly koeke weaving group
- Te Reo classes – learning the Māori language at a level to suit