Aroha Mai Cancer Support
Aroha Mai Cancer Support was founded in 2004 to fill a critical need identified by whānau in the community including a lack of cancer support services that support both patients and their whanau in a culturally appropriate way.
The Aroha Mai Cancer Support Services is a voluntary team whose aim is to extend support to cancer sufferers and their families by offering key services in a culturally safe and uplifting environment.
Aroha Mai Cancer Support offer the following services:
- Counselling with compassion
- Guidance when required
- Assisting/supporting family members
- “Listening ear”
- Assistance with petrol vouchers (when available)
- Help/assist patient, family to understand treatments and the side effects
- Awhiawhi the patient and family when requested
- Working in a culturally appropriate manner that adheres to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi